March 22, 2009

Catching readers with a Bit-O-Honey

Foodies, let me apologize. I've been remiss in my reviewing duties for far too long, leaving you without even a whiff of a new blog post. You have reason to be angry with me.

Hoping to catch those of you who are flying away, I'm back with a review of a classic candy -- Bit-O-Honey. Whoever last refilled the vending machine at work replaced Twix, the ultimate workplace candy, with Bit-O-Honey. To expedite the Twix reclaiming its rightful slot I shelled out a steep 90 cents for the replacement candy bar.

I must admit that I couldn't remember much about Bit-O-Honey, although preliminary reaction from those in the cubicles around me was not inspiring. One of my coworkers sneered at the idea of Bit-O-Honey, informing me that he "Used to get angry when I got those trick-or-treating."

Once I opened the wrapper, memories of Bit-O-Honey came buzzing back into my head. It was that bronze chewy candy with an inner wrapping of wax paper that never came the entire way off without ripping. As a kid, I never appreciated it much, instead chewing through the hard, tasteless stuff as fast as I could in order to move on to a Milky Way.

Bit-O-Honey still has that wax paper, which they still haven't figured out how to make it unwrap without ripping. Somehow I enjoyed it, though. It's a bit like Now and Later -- hard and bland at first, chewy and flavorful after a few minutes gnawing on a hunk.

In fact, Bit-O-Honey can get downright rich for a concoction made composed of refined sugar. There really is just a bit of honey flavor -- the overall eating experience reminds me of the creaminess of butterscotch, but without the super sweet punch in the face.

That's not to say Bit-O-Honey doesn't get sweet. The taste builds, leaving you wanting more in the beginning, wanting less at the end of the bar, and perfectly happy about halfway through it. By the end of the bar I was ready for a nice hunk of bread to soak up that sugar.

Still, I wouldn't get angry if I got these while trick-or-treating. Bit-O-Honey can't replace Twix, but it's worth a try if your sweet tooth is begging for some attention. Three out of five sporks.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 PM

    I'm glad you didn't hate your Bit-O-Honey experience, but just remember: The second floor is where it's at. I'm going to force you to give it a try sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:40 AM

    HA! This was the perfect way to discover your food blog. You've really never been to the second floor? Next you're going to tell me you don't take naps in the warehouse.

    ReplyDelete