April 3, 2013

McDonald's Steak and Egg Burrito

Although it risks repetitiveness, today's food under the microscope is from McDonald's.

It's unfortunate, because the last time I reviewed anything from an honest-to-goodness restaurant with a drive-thru, it was sourced at the golden arches. This blog hit up a threesome of McFare in February. The last thing I want is for anyone to think I only frequent McDonald's, because nothing could be less true.

Since that last McDonald's trip, I've stopped at Steak 'n Shake, Moe's and Tim Horton's. I even picked up a box from Pizza Hut. In almost every case, I tried a new food. When it came to Steak 'n Shake, I sampled an entirely new place.

So why fall back on Mickey D's? Why tease my readers with mention of new and exciting foods from far-off places down the strip mall?

The answer is simple: safety first.

Yes, I have an important safety announcement about today's McDonald's food, which is the Steak and Egg Burrito. Be careful. It can be hot.

I don't expect this information will flabbergast many. Ronald's house loves to remind us that its coffee is served steaming and ready to burn. The warnings are all over the cups, at least for those of us who still order genuine hot coffee instead of some steamed milk wannabe.

Still, you need to be careful biting into a Steak and Egg Burrito. For some reason, it seems to keep its heat better than your run-of-the-mill McMuffin. Maybe it's the density of the steak. More likely, it's the fact that it's all wrapped up snugger than a cow in a blanket. Whatever the cause, the burrito has the capacity to be hot.

Mine was two or three times warmer than any food I've ever received from McDonald's. I can't be more precise than that, because the burrito scorched my ever-so-sensitive critiquer's tongue. The steam rising from the inside would have been bad enough, but the geyser of molten cheese shooting out from inside was more than any mortal mouth could handle.

None of this is to say you shouldn't try the Steak and Egg Burrito, because you should. Those of my taste buds that were still functioning picked up a pleasant blend of beef, egg and cheese topped off with a nice bit of salsa. Aside from the thermostat-shattering heat, the only complaint I have is that the tortilla can be a bit dry at the end.

I see no need to burn McDonald's because of a slight issue with degrees. As long as you're prepared, you'll find the Steak and Egg Burrito to be worth four sporks out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment